Looking for a healthy and satisfying plant based dish that’s bursting with flavour? Look no further than our recipe for minty pistachio couscous! This dish features fluffy couscous mixed with a refreshing balance of mint, aubergine (eggplant), and crunchy pistachios. It’s perfect as a main meal or side dish, and it’s sure to impress even the pickiest eaters. So let’s get cooking!
Tips to make this minty couscous dish zero waste
You should be able to find the ingredients readily in your nearest bulk store
- I recommend wholegrain couscous. Don’t forget to take along your reusable cloth bags.
- Your local bulk store will likely stock unpacked pistachios and dates. I recommend buying pistachios in the shells. It takes a bit of patience to peel them but they will be much fresher and packed with goodness.
- The veg (tomatoes, aubergine/ eggplant and mint) will be available to buy loose at your local green grocer.
- Have a go at growing your own mint and tomatoes. Cherry tomatoes and mint can easily be grown in a window bottom.
- Not got one of the ingredients. You can easily swap out for whatever you have in season or in the fridge. The base ingredients are couscous, dates and mint. Even the harissa can be substituted for chilli powder.
- Look for extra virgin olive oil in a 5 litre tin rather than a plastic bottle. Depending on where you live you might even be able to buy from your bulk store.
Pistachio nuts are a nutritious and delicious ingredient that offer numerous health benefits. They are rich in protein, fibre, healthy fats, and essential vitamins and minerals. Eating pistachios can help improve heart health by lowering cholesterol levels, reducing inflammation, and regulating blood pressure. They may also aid in weight management by promoting feelings of fullness and reducing calorie intake.
Pistachios have also been linked to improved gut health and may help reduce the risk of certain cancers. Additionally, their antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties may help protect against oxidative stress and age-related cognitive decline. To sum it up, adding pistachios to your diet can be a great way to support your overall health and well-being.
Ready to give it a go?
Minty Pistachio Vegan Couscous
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup couscous (180 grams)
- 1-2 cups hot water Amount will vary depending on type of couscous
- 1 cup pistachios, shelled (150 grams)
- 1 medium aubergine (eggplant), chopped
- 4-5 whole dates, remove tone and half
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped Or 12-15 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tsp harissa spice Adjust to taste
- 1 juice of lemon
- pinch salt Adjust to taste
- 1 bunch fresh mint, chopped
- Add the hot water to the couscous and stir. Leave to absorb the water. If necessary add more water – this will depend on the type of couscous.
- Heat the oil in a pan and gently cook the aubergine (eggplant) and tomatoes together with the harissa spice on a medium heat until soft.
- Add all the ingredients to the couscous, mix in.
- Season with olive oil and salt. Squeeze on some juice and enjoy!